Treadmills are a popular weight-bearing activity where people of all levels can enjoy walking, jogging, and running. Treadmills feature adjustable speeds and inclines to vary your workout and challenge your body.
- Ability to expend more calories performing a weight-bearing activity.
- Weight-bearing exercises maintain bone mass and prevent osteoporosis.
- Build stamina, strengthen muscles, and burn calories.
- Walking is a safe and lower-impact form of weight-bearing exercise for adults with osteoporosis or arthritis.
Elliptical trainers are a low-impact weight-bearing activity that delivers a superior cardio workout without added stress on joints and muscles. You have the option of moving the hand grips and adjusting the resistance to target more muscles leaving you with a full-body cardiovascular workout.
- Simple to use and delivers a workout that promotes cardiovascular health, strength training, and weight loss.
- Feet remain supported on the foot pedals resulting in strengthening leg muscles without exerting pressure on the joints and back.
- Interval programs will boost metabolism and options to increase the resistance will burn more calories.
- People who are elderly, any body size, or rehabbing from knee surgery can benefit from this safer option.
Recumbent Exercise Bikes
Recumbent bikes are a popular non-weight bearing exercise. This style of bike provides back support with a comfortable wide seat. Feet are positioned in front of your body at the same level as your hips. This reduces stress on your lower back, neck and shoulders.
- The recumbent bike is a great option for people of all sizes and fitness levels.
- Safer option for those with difficulty with balance or back problems since the body weight is supported and often recommended during rehabilitation programs.
- Less trauma to the muscles and joints, heart rate is generally lower which makes longer exercise bouts possible.
- Resistance can be increased to challenge your body, increase your heart rate, and build leg strength.
- The design of the machine is the easiest to get on and off.