Benefits of an aerobic exercise program:
- Reduces risk for cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity, stroke, osteoporotic fractures.
- Exercise can help lower blood pressure, control blood sugar, improve cholesterol levels and build stronger, denser bones.
- Works several major muscle groups such as: quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteal muscles, and muscles of the lower legs. Working these muscles help pump blood back to the heart and improves circulation, muscular endurance, and dynamic balance.
- Research shows being physically active leads to living longer and healthier lives. Even those with risk factors such as: high blood pressure, diabetes, or those with a smoking habit can gain real benefits from incorporating regular physical activity into their daily life.
- Exercise can help you stay on a healthy diet and lose weight.
- Decreases anxiety and depression.
- Enhanced feelings of well-being.
- Reduces risk of falls and injuries from falls in older adults.
- Effective therapy for many chronic diseases in older adults.
- Exercise during pregnancy benefits the mother and the child. May reduce the risk of pregnancy-induced hypertension and gestational diabetes mellitus.
Benefits according to the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM).